5 Ways to Make Caprese Salad
I love the simple flavors of a caprese salad….basil, fresh mozzarella, and tomato. Purchasing fresh ingredients is the only way to go. If you have space to grow your own basil and tomato plant, even better. Even if you don’t have a yard you can grow these in pots.
I also add a dash of kosher salt and drizzle balsamic glaze (I like the brand Blaze) to really give a punch of flavor.
1. Caprese on a Stick: Spear cherry tomatoes, fresh mini mozzareall balls, and basil leaves on toothpicks to serve as an easy appetizer
Serve in a martini glass for a little extra something
Same idea, but with balsamic glaze drizzled:
2. A Bowl of Caprese: Chop up all the ingredients, mix together, and people can dish up the amount they want
3. Caprese Pastry Bites: Cut pieces of puff pastry, fill with the chopped up caprese, wrap up and bake at 400 degree for 15-20 minutes or until pastry is golden brown and puffy.
4. Traditional Caprese Salad: Layer your ingredients
5. Arugula Caprese Salad: Use arugula, chop up tomato and mozzarella, and use the dressing recipe below (or just use oil and vinegar)
Dressing for arugula caprese salad (thanks to my friend, Christina, for making up this recipe)
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- a handful of fresh basil leaves
- 1 shallot
- 1 garlic clove
- salt and pepper to taste
- juice from 1/2 a lemon
Blend together in a power mixer