DIY Sparkly Phone Case
So I’m starting to think that I should have named this site something like ‘All that Glitters’, considering how many glittered projects there are! After seeing some of the projects I’ve done a friend asked me if I could make a phone case for her with a turquoise glitter….of course I could!
*If interested in making glittered washable glassware click here
*For basic glittering directions click here
I knew it would have to be pretty durable, as most of us throw our phones in our purses, counters, floors, etc. This meant a few more steps than a typical glitter project, but nothing difficult. If you want to make one for yourself or a gift follow these directions:
What you’ll need:
- A plain phone case (or anything you want to have durable glitter… such as a camera case, compact mirror case, etc)
- A strong adhesive for a base coat. I used E-6000
- A permanent adhesive for the glitter. I used Gem-tac
- Lacquer spray to seal the glitter
This is what I did to make the case:
- First thing I did was folded a piece of tape (or use double sided tape) to adhere the inside of the case to a little soup box. This made it easy for me to work around the case as I needed without smudging anything.
- Applied E-6000 to the phone case and let it dry (basically super glue). I just speared it on smooth with my finger. The reason I put this on first was to create a surface that the glitter would stick to and not easily scrape off over time (like the smooth plastic of the original case)
- I used a paint brush to apply a layer of Gem-tac and then sprinkled the glitter. I used this adhesive instead of Mod-Podge, like most glitter projects, because it’s more durable. I let this dry and then tapped off the extra glitter.
- After 24 hours I sprayed a coat of lacquer on the case to seal it. Since it will be getting so much use I sprayed a few coats of it throughout the day. I let it all dry another 24 hours before using it.