So, you need to cut some aluminum for that project you’ve been working on? Unfortunately, not all saw blades can cut through aluminum; it requires specially crafted tools to do the job.
In this article, I’ll be covering everything you need to know about aluminum cutting with circular saw blades. I know how important the right saw blade is for the overall cutting experience (and how an unsuitable blade can totally ruin it).
Even the most experienced saw users can fall for a trap and end up buying something that doesn’t fit their needs. This happens when you don’t keep the basics in mind—and believe me, it’s very easy to ignore the basics. But after reading this article, you will have all the necessary information for buying the best circular saw blade for cutting aluminum.
Table of Contents
- Top Choice
- Buying Guide
- Review: Top 5 Best Circular Saws Blades For Cutting Aluminum
- Final Thoughts
- Best Value
- Best Overall
In case you don’t want to skim through the entire article, here’s my top choice for you:
The Oshlun 60 Tooth Saw Blade (Diamond Knockout) is designed for smooth and burr free operation, easy to operate, and can be used for longer intervals. The value for money aspect is top of the class as well.
Last update on 2019-10-21 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
It is important to keep in mind that not all blades are created equally. A certain saw blade may be the best for your friend, but it may fail to serve you. Similarly, not all blades are meant for the kinds of cut you are looking for.
Using blades with inappropriate thickness and teeth can cause injury to you or others and may damage the surface you’re cutting. It all boils down to your requirements, and this is why this section becomes more important. Here are some things to consider.
Types Of Circular Saw Blades For Cutting Aluminum
There are two main types:
- Metal Cutting Blade – This type of blade has smaller teeth separated by sturdy slots. This design helps in cutting metal pipes and sheets. You can’t cut through thick blocks of metal with this one, however; it is ideal for thinner sheets up to 11 gauge.
- Abrasive Blades – These blades are carved out of fiberglass for extra strength and durability. They are ideal for cutting through slightly thicker plates, bars, and tubes of metal.
Kerf is the thickness of the blade. As it goes through immense wear and tear, the kerf is one of the most important consideration while buying a new blade. Thicker blades can be made sharper and tend to cut faster as well. Thinner kerfs are more suitable for saws with smaller motors. However, they are less durable than thicker blades.
The sharp, tiny guys around the edge of the blade are the teeth. The number of teeth will decide the nature of the cut; more teeth mean a cleaner cut while fewer teeth result in a rougher cut. Some blades have 24 teeth, while others can have as many as 100.
It is a small area between two teeth and is used for chip removal. Deeper gullets are used for bigger pieces of chips while shallower gullets are ideal if the material you’re cutting produces fewer, smaller chips.
Hook angle, also known as “rake”, is the angle of the teeth with respect to the center of the blade. Negative hook angle is created when the top of the teeth is positioned away from the blade movement. During the cutting process, this design can slow down the feed rate.
Positive hook angle, on the other hand, is when the top of the teeth are in the direction of the blade movement. It results in more aggressive cuts.
Can I Use Circular Saw Blades On A Table Saw?
Yes, you may! Since the kerf is thinner, it requires less power.
Which Direction Should I Cut?
Circular saw blades are designed to cut upwards, starting from the bottom of your aluminum sheet (or wood) to the top. Also, almost all manufacturers have an arrow pointing in the right direction on guard blade.
Is It Possible To Sharpen The Blade?
Yes. And you can do it yourself using an oil stone and a file. There are also many blade sharpeners available in the market.
Review: Top 5 Best Circular Saws Blades For Cutting Aluminum
This circular saw blade is one of a kind and is produced by one of the very best in the business. Oshlun is a stand-out performer when speaking of circular saw blades and especially when its related to the cutting of non-ferrous materials. Check out some of its features.
- Negative hook angle – A saw blade is considered to be at its best when the hook angle is highest. When it comes to the negative hook angle, there is absolutely no parallel. This saw blade really stands out from others.
- Professional-grade C-1 carbide – C-1 carbide construction gives you the level of quality you expect from a great saw blade.
- Precision ground carbide tips – This makes sure that the edges of the surface remain smooth even after some intense cutting.
- Cooler operation enabled by heat vents – Using it for longer intervals of time is not a problem at all since it comes with heat vents to cool the blade down.
Here is a great example of what most users are saying about this blade: “One of its kind when it comes to the cutting of non-ferrous materials. Cuts very clean and the blades do not get damaged easily.”
- Powerful cutting with 60 teeth
- Completely professional experience with grade C-1 carbide
- Smooth and burr-free cutting
- Heat vents for cooler operation
- A bit noisy
- Not as efficient with wood as with aluminum
Summing it up, this blade is a complete solution for all your cutting needs as far as non-ferrous materials are concerned. It comes with a state of the art technology and all at an unbelievably low price. These features make this blade top this list and earn it an overall rating of 4.8 stars out of 5
If you are looking to cut plastic, along with aluminum, in a very effective and professional manner, this saw blade is just the right pick for you. Although a bit expensive, the professional cutting experience this blade brings makes it worth the price.
- Laser cut stabilizer vents – These vents are great for keeping the noise and the vibration to a minimum.
- Micro grain titanium carbide – This makes it durable and improves the cutting ability and also ensures a longer lifespan.
- Laser-cut heat expansion slots – If you want the cut to be true and straight, the heat expansion slots will help you. They allow the blade to expand as it heats up, giving you a true cut.
On top of having all the amazing features mentioned above, people also love this saw blade because—although it is best in cutting plastic—it’s also quite good at cutting aluminum as well. So plastic and non-ferrous metals go hand-in-hand with this saw blade.
- Extremely good at cutting plastic
- Low noise
- Low vibration
- Laser-cut heat expansion slots for true and straight cuts
- Not very efficient for longer intervals of use
- A bit expensive
When speaking of cutting plastic, there is no parallel to this cutting blade, but it is also equally good with non-ferrous metals such as aluminum. Therefore, I would rate this saw blade for cutting aluminum a 4.7 on a scale of 5.
This is an industry standard aluminum cutting circular saw blade which is not only good at cutting aluminum and other non-ferrous materials, but it also gives them a nice finish. Now let me walk you through some of the amazing features this saw blade has to offer.
- Ultra-sharp, hard titanium carbide – Carbide makes this blade powerful and strong, so it can cut through any type of non-ferrous objects and even plastic.
- Triple Chip Tooth Grind (TCT or TCG) – The TCG makes it perfect for a smooth and regular finish.
- -5-degree hook angle – This gives you the best cutting experience.
Although, this blade has all the above-mentioned features, the real reason why people like this blade is that it cuts with the utmost precision and gets the job done in no time.
- Ultra-sharp, hard titanium carbide to cut through any surface fast
- Triple Chip Grind for a smoother finish
- Can be used with a number of saws with perfection
- Can cut through plastic, aluminum, and fiberglass as well
- Finish is not as precise as some other products
- Not for professionals
As is rightly said, you get what you pay for. When looking at the price of this blade and then the features it offers, it’s truly a good deal. I would rate it 4.3 overall.
As we already discussed, Oshlun is one of the very best in business when it comes to cutting non-ferrous materials. It produces blades of top quality which are capable of cutting any surface precisely. So, let’s move on to the features of this circular saw blade.
- Professional-grade C-1 carbide – This level of carbide gives you that precise and accurate cut you’ve always wanted out of your saw blade.
- Triple Chip Tooth Grind – TCT gives you that perfect finish every time you cut aluminum or any other non-ferrous material.
- Copper-plugged expansion slots – These slots enable the blade to expand as it heats up which gives a consistently true and straight cut.
I found that most people are talking about these blades in a very respectable manner. As far as performance is concerned, these blades are just perfect. For some people, these blades were a bit expensive, but even those people were bound to applaud the blade’s performance.
- Great performance
- Low noise
- Low vibration
- Ideally designed for cutting non-ferrous materials
- Not as effective with plastic as some of the other products
- A bit expensive
Although the Oshlun 100 tooth may be a bit on the higher side as far as price is concerned, it has no parallel as far as performance is concerned. So I had to give it a rating of 4.2, or else I would not do it justice.
As you can easily guess by the name of these blades, they are multi-purpose blades which are not only good with non-ferrous materials but also with steel, wood, and plastic. Here are some of the key features of this blade.
- Multi-purpose blade – It is a multi-purpose blade which cuts through non-ferrous materials, wood, and plastic.
- Anti-kickback system – This makes it safer to use.
- Dry cut technology – This technology helps the blade generate minimum heat and burrs.
Most people say this circular saw blade has really good performance, but the only problem is that it does not fit in the standard size saws. So you have to be particular in choosing the right one to fit.
- Multi-purpose blades
- Very inexpensive
- Anti-kickback system makes it safer to use
- Is not as accurate as professional blades
- Is not designed to be used for longer intervals
For the price of this blade and then all the good things it has to offer, it is arguably one of the best circular saw blades for cutting aluminum. I would rate it at 4 stars.
I have spent some good amount of time (and energy) on reviewing and researching the best circular saw blade for cutting aluminum. I have listed the best 5 products above but here are my favorites…
After rating all the products, the Oshlun 60 Tooth Saw Blade (Diamond Knockout) is a standout performer among the rest with a rating of 4.8. Especially if you compare what you get to price tag attached to it.
The only product competing with the Oshlun 60 is the Diablo D1080N Saw Blade, but its one flaw is its high price. However, if you want the very best blade for cutting aluminum, go for it, so long as you are ready to pay for that pure quality.