If you are in need of a great chainsaw from Husqvarna, you’re in the right place. The company makes various kinds of chainsaws, fit for lots of different requirements. Now, this can be confusing, especially if you are unaware of the technicalities.
In this article, I will talk about your needs, and based on that, how to choose the best Husqvarna saw.
This Sweden-based company has been leading the power tool market since the late 20th century. Its versatile range of chainsaws offers something for everyone, from homeowners to rigorous woodworkers.
While the long list of options is great to choose from, it can be a nuisance if you’re not informed enough. Let’s face it, spending up to $500 on a saw that just isn’t designed for your tasks will have you regretting the purchase. Enter these Husqvarna chainsaw reviews.
In this article, I have rounded up the Husqvarna chainsaw models I liked the best and compiled their reviews with a detailed buying guide. Read along and you’ll avoid making a bad chainsaw investment.
Table of Contents
- Top Pick
- Buying Guide
- Top Five Husqvarna Chainsaws
- Final Thoughts
First things first, if you’re in a hurry, here is the top pick from the Husqvarna range at a glance.
Best Overall: Husqvarna 455 Gas Chainsaw
I really like this one from Husqvarna because of its low fuel consumption and the ergonomic design. You can use this beast for hours without being fatigued.
Now let’s dive into the details.
Last update on 2019-11-15 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
The latest high-end chainsaw model may not be the ideal one for you. The best chainsaw for you has to be the one that fits your needs, budget, and work experience. For instance, a heavy duty chainsaw won’t do you any good if you can’t operate it properly.
Here are some factors you should check out before making a purchase to make sure your tool is perfect for you.
The bar is the area where the blade is attached on the chainsaw. While the motor and engine provide most of the power, the cutting ability depends on the bar and blade length. A longer blade means it will take you fewer cuts to get through the trunk.
So if you’re a homeowner who needs a chainsaw at hand for a few home improvements, then a 14-inch bar will do great. Whereas, if you’re a professional chopping wood on a regular basis, then you’ll need a full 24-inch blade.
Husqvarna chainsaws have a pretty commendable range of safety features. These include anti-kickback chains, chain brakes, and throttle locks.
Operating a heavy-duty chainsaw is not child’s play. That’s why you need to check for all the safety features included before you buy. Not all of them have all the features, so choose carefully.
To judge the performance of a certain model chainsaw, you need to know the features that affect it. The size of the blade and motor will determine the overall performance, including speed and runtime.
Other factors, such as the handle design and weight, will affect how easy or difficult it is for you to operate it.
Husqvarna chainsaws have made improvements in every model to enhance the overall performance, like automatic chain oiling and tool-less adjustments.
Make sure the chainsaw you buy is made up of strong and high-quality materials. With Husqvarna, that’s not a problem but nevertheless, you should check the specifics properly so that your chainsaw can withstand rugged, long-term use.
Apart from these basic factors, here are a few questions I know that are making you apprehensive about your purchase.
Does The Type Of Wood I’m Cutting Matter?
Yes, it absolutely does. You might think it’s best to get a chainsaw with the longest bar length and a heavy-duty motor, but that’s not the case.
If all you need your chainsaw for is pruning and trimming a bit off hedges, then heavyweight chainsaws can prove to be destructive. Deciding on what you need your chainsaw for is essential before making a choice.
How Much Maintenance Does The Chainsaw Require?
If you want your saw to last long, then you will have to be a dedicated owner and take care of it. If you’re going to dump it in your garage after every use, over time your machine will disintegrate.
There are low-maintenance options in the Husqvarna range—like airflow management and strong construction—that will help you maintain your chainsaw.
Which Environmental Impacts Can I Avoid?
Despite the fact that you’re cutting down trees, there are many other environmental impacts that a high power tool like a chainsaw can cause. This includes toxic emissions and fuel leakage. Husqvarna aims to reduce these in some of its models through great upgrades that you can check out before buying.
Also, the noise chainsaws make is an issue that you’ll want to consider. Choose one with features to mask the noise if you live in amongst problematic neighbors or in an area with regulations on noise.
Top Five Husqvarna Chainsaws
Now that I’ve filled you in with all the basic info, it’s time to jump into the top five Husqvarna chainsaw reviews.
This chainsaw is a slightly improved version of the original Husqvarna 460. The only real differences are the small price difference and the blade length. Let’s dive into its features without further ado.
- Quickstart: You can start the engine easily rather than wasting your energy on the initial task. Also, it reduces chances of kickback for safe operation.
- X-Torq: Like on other models, this makes sure your fuel is used to its optimum level while emitting fewer harmful gases into the atmosphere.
- Air injection: The air cleaning system gets rid of large dust particles before they reach the filter or clog the engine.
- Improved engine life: Overall engine life is improved through easy self-maintenance and cleaning.
- Low vibration: Less vibration means high maneuverability and stability during operation with less user fatigue.
- Long blade bar: It sports the longest blade available in the Husqvarna range, specially designed for professional woodworkers to tackle the toughest tasks.
Taking user reviews into account, this model is perhaps the best Husqvarna chainsaw. Though it comes at a high price, the durable design and high-performing engine are worth your money and will last you long term. Users also comment about the reduced user fatigue and updated security features which makes it easy for them to complete difficult tasks.
- Ergonomic handle
- Flawless operation
- Maximum maneuverability
- Less noise
As compared to its initial 20-inch version, the Husqvarna Forest & Garden 460 does a great job of tackling larger projects for professionals. If you’re looking for a high-end model that’s reliable, then this is the one for you. I give it a 4.7-star rating.
This 20-inch bladed beast is a versatile choice to handle the most difficult sawing jobs. It gives a heavy-duty performance with efficient fuel consumption and easy maintenance to last. Take a look at its great features.
- Quickstart: The machine needs absolutely no effort to get it started, so you can save your strength for the task ahead.
- X-Torq: This helps you adhere to environmental regulation through minimum oil consumption and harmful emissions without compromising on performance.
- Oil flow control: The saw sports an adjustable oil pump which you can customize according to your needs.
- Accessible air filter: The air filter is constructed with an easy-release system to save time when cleaning the chainsaw after use.
- Centrifugal air cleaning system: The air cleaning system pushes large dust particles out of the way to avoid clogging the engine or the filter for hassle-free maintenance.
Besides all that, what users love about this model is its easy and effortless maneuverability despite its heavy construction. It can handle trees with large diameters and puts minimum strain on the operator. Furthermore, the safety features on this model work flawlessly so you don’t have to be so worried about hurting yourself while using it.
- Low vibration
- Efficient fuel consumption
- Room for human error
Most importantly, this chainsaw is great at doing its job well. Though it comes at a higher price as compared to the 455, the adjustable oil pump feature makes up for the difference.
Taking all its great features into consideration, this model deserves a 4.6-star rating.
This model is a perfect all-rounder from the Husqvarna range. It’s a heavy-duty tool which can tackle almost all jobs flawlessly. That’s why it’s the company’s best selling and most popular model. Here’s a list of it’s best features.
- Centrifugal air cleaning system: Large dust and debris get filtered before it enters the air filter, so it won’t damage the engine or cause a nuisance when cleaning the filter up.
- X-Torq: This feature makes the chainsaw consume less fuel and emit fewer pollutants.
- Low vibrations: The operator feels almost no vibrations which reduces fatigue.
- Easy chain tensioning: If the chain gets loose due to long-term use, you can tension it to the ideal level and assemble the bar without using any tools.
- Quickstart: The efficiently designed engine requires absolutely no effort to start, so you can concentrate on the job at hand.
Moreover, users love this chainsaw. Basically, it’s the durable construction and amazing performance which gets this model a 4.3-star rating. It can go through large trees and hardwood, like oak, very easily.
Also, the runtime is commendable and is enough to last you through your task. Furthermore, it’s very easy to store and maintain which means it lasts long term.
- Low fuel consumption
- Less harmful emissions
- Ergonomic design
- Fuel leakage when not used for long intervals
The Husqvarna 455 has great features to go easy on you as well as the environment. Which means you can get more work done without feeling tired or damaging the surroundings with harmful emissions.
Iit limits your fuel and maintenance costs considerably. And the price is reasonable considering the benefits, so I give this model an overall 4.5-star rating.
Here’s another heavy-duty model to complete your tasks for you. This one has a long blade to go through larger tree trunks and logs. This means you can get your work done faster with this one, and it comes pre-assembled, at a reasonable price. Let’s check the details for some further insight.
- 20-inch bar: The long blade lets you cut through trunks up to 18’ inch wide.
- Two-cycle engine: The cutting edge, double-cycle engine delivers efficient performance and gives ample runtime to complete your task.
- X-Torq: The signature Husqvarna feature makes the device use fuel efficiently while minimizing pollutants.
- Air purge system: This feature ensures that the engine does not get clogged or choked, making sure your cutting session goes smoothly.
Coming to what users have to say about this model, there’s a bittersweet feeling about this one. While most of them love the features, some also complain about the feeble safety features.
Nevertheless, this model has all the great features you would expect from a Husqvarna model at an astonishingly low price which makes it a great value product.
- Ergonomic handle
- Low vibration
- Good balance
- Easy maintenance
- Environmentally friendly
- Low price
- Unreliable safety features
- Bar oil leakage
Overall, despite some disappointing user feedback, there is good value in this saw. I would rate this model 4 stars out of 5.
This model comes with a shorter blade compared to the others. Therefore, it’s ideal for homeowners who want to work on home improvement and pruning or trimming out their hedges. Nevertheless, it boasts a good set of features as well.
- X-Torq: This signature technology ensures minimum fuel expense and complies with your neighborhood regulations through minimum emissions.
- Minimal vibration: The low vibration system puts less fatigue on the user’s arm and shoulders which makes it great for domestic use.
- Chain brake: The easily activated chain brake can come in handy in case of accidents, just pull back and create inertia to make it work.
- Easy-lock cylinder: The one-snap lock and open cylinder makes operations such as changing spark plugs and cleaning the chainsaw easy.
- Air cleaning system: The centrifugal air cleaning system keeps harmful debris out of the machine to avoid clogging and choking.
- Accessible chain tensioning: You can easily adjust the chain tensioning without any tools required to put the bar back together.
In addition to all that, users are mostly positive about this model. It works flawlessly at the tasks it’s designed for and is easily maneuverable. It slices through logs and hedges without kickback, and if you do have an accident, the chain brake is a great plus. Also, it starts at the first kick every time.
Some users complain about the blade bar. They say it tends to get bent from rigorous usage, but my guess is that’s because people have been using the 18-inch blade for 24-inch tasks.
- Long engine life
- Adjustable fuel pump
- Comfortable handling
- Two-year warranty
- Bar oil leakage
- Only for DIYers
Wrapping this up, this model is for you if you’re someone who likes to take matters into their own hands when it comes to grooming your lawn or making basic home improvements. Also, you can tackle medium-sized trees and logs with this one if you need some firewood.
Basically, it’s a great option if you’re not intending to take up rigorous, professional tasks, so I give this one a 4-star rating.
All the other models have amazing features of their own, too. This is my opinion, but as I’ve clarified before in the buying guide, the one you want is based totally on your needs, experience, and budget.
I already mentioned that I believe the Husqvarna 455 is the best Husqvarna chainsaw, and here’s why. While looking for a new chainsaw, you will need a bar length that’s versatile, combined with accessible controls and easy maintenance. This one sports a 20-inch blade which is not the largest available but is enough to cut through wide trunks and logs.
In addition, it has all of Husqvarna’s signature features such as low vibration, X-Torq, and ergonomic design for comfortable handling, which not only reduces fatigue to the operator, but makes sure there’s minimum harm to the environment as well.
The Husqvarna 450 has a commendable set of features at a great price for people on a budget.
I strictly advise against buying the Husqvarna 455 or 460 if all you’re going to do is groom the overgrowth in your lawn or prune your hedges. The 18-inch Husqvarna 450 is the one for you in that case. Remember that before you rush into a purchase or you might end up investing a lot in a device that you don’t need at all.
Lastly, I hope that this review will help you sort your chainsaw buying dilemma. Want to see more chainsaw options? Here are our thoughts on the Jonsered chainsaw model and our top picks.
Best of luck and have a happy shopping and chopping spree!