A miter saw is essential if you want to cut miter or angled cuts. It is probably the most versatile tool a contractor or handyman can have in their workshop as it provides a wide variety of cuts. This handy tool is often utilized to make cuts (not possible with a standard saw) on crown moldings, picture frames, window casings, and many other materials.
The miter cutting proficiency came in three cuts:
- The Cross Cuts. Cross cuts are the cuts you make on a perpendicular angle to the grain.
- Miter Cuts. Miter saws names are inspired from their ability to make these cuts. Miter cuts are the cuts you angle across the wood’s face.
- Bevel Cuts. While miter cuts are angled across the face, Bevel Cuts are angled across the Wood’s edge.
The saws and machetes could manage to make a few common cuts such as lap joints, rabbets, and dadoes. The flexibility which the miters offer is almost as much as the saws only that it cannot go outdooring without other appliances.
Cuts parallel to the grain also known as ripped cuts and curved cuts are also a limitation on the miter saws.
You will find below and a number of sliding compound miter saw reviews
Our Top Choice
Our top product is the Dewalt DW715. It is relatively easy to use and is probably the best one. Moreover, it has excellent features that match the price you will pay.
Last update on 2021-09-20 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Table of Contents
- The Best Miter Saws
- Dewalt DW715
- Hitachi C10FCE2
- Makita LS1016L
- Dewalt DW709
- Hitachi C10FCG
- Dewalt DWS780
- Dewalt DCS361M1
- The Bosch CM10GD
- Ryobi TSS102 L
- Craftsman 21237
- DEWALT DWS779 — Best Sliding Compound Miter Saw
- Bosch Power Tools GCM12SD
- Genesis GMS1015LC
- Makita LS1018
- Popular Brands
- Types of Miter Saws
- The Basic Miter Saw
- Sliding Compound
- Miter Saw Buying Guide
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Safety Guidelines When Using Miter Saws
- Do not interfere with the design and working mechanisms.
- Final Thoughts
The Best Miter Saws
Dewalt DW715 is the miter that has proven to perform home tasks more than adequately. Dewalt is a brand that has been around for about a century and has expressed efficiency through its products both via time and functions.
The Dewalt product is both durable, and they are excellent for Do It Yourself (DIY) tasks and dedications.
The Main Features
- It is equipped with a 15-amp battery and a 120-volt motor that produce 4000rpm. Miter cutting and cross-cutting will thus be efficiently performed.
- It has a thin kerf blade that will cut nominal wastage. You will save both time and materials.
- It weighs 42 pounds and is equipped with a natty handle that facilitates ease of portability.
- It is easy to set up. Thus you can follow despite little knowledge on the units.
- It is endowed with a stainless steel decent that makes 11 positive stops with a span of 0-50 degrees. This provides you with flexibility during cutting.
- It has a sliding fence that is quickly released and tall.
Check out this unboxing video:
- It offers accuracy, power, and versatility.
- It performs excellently at miter and cross cuts
- The bevel and miter can be adjusted precisely.
- You can easily control the cuts to make them neat.
- It has a large miter capacity.
- The dust bag is of poor quality
Dewalt DW715, in my opinion, is the best miter saw for beginners. Moreover, it comes with a 3-year warranty with 1-year free servicing as a deal sweetener.
Dewalt DW715 model is a durable option that offers simplicity, accuracy, and ease of crafting necessary cuts.
Hitachi C10FCE2 15-Amp 10-Inch Single Bevel Compound Miter Saw is a nifty saw that will be able to cater to most of your cutting needs, if not all. It can be considered as the best 10-inch miter saw as it is armed with a puissant motor that gives it a great deal of power to work through the various types of wood. The C10FCE2 offers excellent flexibility and versatility and provides accurate and smooth crosscuts and miters in a wide range of materials:
- Soft fireboard
- Decorative panels
- The high motor that has a power of 15 Amp and rotates the blade at 5000 rotations per minute (rpm)
This motor is powerful enough to run a 12-inch tooth despite being fitted with a 10-inch tool. It is the heart of the miter saw’s excellent performance.
- A 10-inch tungsten carbide tooth
The tungsten carbide tooth can handle delicate tasks for example trimming. The extendable fence provides it with ample extension of 4 inches to work with making it stand out among the best 10 inch miter saws.
- Ample flip fence that can extend up to 4 inches
The extension helps you to cut into more significant pieces of wood and deeper into them while still maintaining precision. Crown moldings can quickly be dealt with where the fence rises. The wall is also equipped with handy holes that will facilitate screwing of an extra board. A plywood measuring 1×6 offers the best outcome.
- A maximum miter range of 52 degrees
You do not have to calibrate the angle scales. You can then start on your activities sooner. This range offers a broader range regarding cuts, and the miter can be adjusted within the angle ranges given in either direction. Hitachi C10FCE2 15-Amp 10-Inch Single Bevel Compound Miter Saw has positive stops at the following angles: 0, 15, 22 ½, 31 ½ and 45.
- A bevel range of 45 degrees
Calibrating the bevel angle range is not compulsory. You can get going as soon as you are done with the user and maintenance manuals. The angles allow you to tilt the saw either left or right. Moreover, the edges can be altered between the ranges of 0 to 45 degrees. To lock on these positive stops, you could either use your thumb to flick the lever or the handle placed on the side.
- Carbon brushes
Replaceable ones are provided to extend the life of your saw and make maintenance easier.
- Dust bags
You will be able to maintain the cleanliness and safety of your environment with this dust bag.
- Relatively light
The Hitachi is 26 pounds in weight, and that is not as taxing when moving it around your workshop as compared to most power tools.
- The handle
The handle offers an elastomeric grip that reduces strain when you work for long hours. Moreover, it absorbs vibration excellently to facilitate a firm grip. The Hitachi is easy to maneuver, and the handle acts as a guide.
- The Clamping
The Hitachi is a clamping system that is built into the unit and provides support.
- It is covered with a five-year warranty by Hitachi
- Its large table enables you to handle the material better, resulting in better, more precise cuts
- Lightweight and portable
- A durable blade
- An easy to replace carbon brush
- Miter and bevel cuts are easy to adjust
- Precise and straight reductions because it is powerful.
- It has an inbuilt dust collector.
- You can order for one with an Optical Laser Marker System.
- The blade reaction to the trigger is fast
- An upgraded blade is required for working in detail.
- Some users reported the instructions on the manual can be hard to follow
In conclusion, this tool is perfect for framers, woodworkers, and carpenters looking for power and precision but want something more portable. The low price of this saw also makes it perfect for any DIY enthusiasts.
This, in my opinion, is the best miter saw for the money. The Hitachi offers a wide array of features that provide a professional experience for its user be it carpenters or woodworkers.
I give it a rating of 4.5 out of 5.
It offers tools for precision to compensate for being pricey. It is very efficient in cutting crown moldings.
The Main Features
- Its gearbox has been sealed in a unit, and this helps with reducing noise pollution from the machine
- It is equipped with electronic speed control to help you regulate the rotation speed of the motor
- It has an in-built laser to help with precision cutting
- Its 15 amp motor helps in the output of 3200rpm
- It has a reduction gear unit with three stages, and this helps you when you are cutting crown molds
- It is equipped with an electric brake and a soft start that contributes to your excellent user experience
- Its functionality is excellent as it has a very high versatility
- It is the best for cutting crown molds
- It is highly portable.
- Its start is smooth without a kick.
- Its power is direct to the blade and not the belt due to a sealed gearbox.
- The laser helps with precision cutting.
- It is quite heavy when carrying around.
- Its instruction manual is not clear enough.
- The bevel stop at 0 degrees needs more attention.
- It is a bit pricey.
The Makita comes with a one year warranty. The versatility, the accuracy, and the user-friendliness not only proves it may be an excellent miter saw for precision cutting, but it can be the best overall.
Dewalt DW709 is equipped with a 12-inch blade is 51 pounds of weight yet moving it is quite easy.
The Main Features
- It is equipped with a motor of 15 amp in power and produces 3800rpm. This makes cutting through material quite easy
- It is equipped with a fence that can easily be removed and helps in cutting at 90 degrees angle for up to 2×14 inches
- It has a detent plate that meets 13 familiar corners at its positive stops
- It comes with a carry handle that facilitates its movement
- It can make straight cuts that peak 14 inches
- The angle is adjustable that produces a variety of cuts quickly
- You can handle moldings and baseboards quite efficiently
- It is a product of a reputable brand
- It provides accuracy and versatility.
- It is has a powerful motor of 15 amp and one that offers an enormous cutting power.
- Your value for money will be well represented.
- Bevels and miters can be easily adjusted.
- It has a low capacity.
- The dust collection bag consumes a lot of space.
- When compared to Dewalt products of the same price range, they are pricier.
Dewalt DW709 comes with a warranty, and its features have earned it a position among the best.
It can handle the lesser complex task and is efficient enough to earn my recommendation for the best for home use.
The Key Features
- It outputs 5000 rpm backed by a 15-amp motor.
- It has a single Bevel with a 45-degree range on the left side.
- It has excellent dust collection system.
- A laser line is mounted to guide for precise cutting.
- It is installed with electric brakes to enhance safety.
- 9 miter stops are featured in this unit, and they offer specific cuts.
- It has a 5-year warranty on it
- It is light, weighing 21.2 pounds.
- It is mounted with a fence that can peak an extension of 4 inches.
- It has precise cuts.
- It has safety precautions in electric brakes
- Its motor provides power in cutting through material.
- It practices efficiency on materials as not much is used up
- It has an excellent dust collection.
- It is light thus easy to move about.
- It is relatively cheap.
- It has an aluminum base that damages easily.
- One may experience some factory defects.
The Hitachi ranks the lowest on this list, but its popularity is quite high. This is influenced by the features and price being an excellent match.
Dewalt is a reputable brand of power tools and known for its affordability and preciseness.
- A powerful motor of 15 amp runs it. This motor produces 3800 rpm.
- It is composed of materials like hard plastic and stainless steel that extend its durability.
- It is equipped with a dual bevel system that offers a highly visible measuring scale that also enhances its preciseness.
- The blade guard is present to help maintain your safety.
- It is equipped with a system for dust collection that is 75% efficient in its task.
- It is equipped with a powerful motor
- It has a high torque that maintains the speed of the blade as it cuts through wood.
- Its gauges are highly accurate
- Its dust collection is highly efficient
- The adjustment of the slope and the angle is smooth and swift.
- It is portable, and it is moderately light.
- It is equipped with a LED light that helps with the cutting accuracy.
- It is relatively affordable among many in compound miter saw reviews.
- Dewalt DWS780 lacks an option for stop-start
- There is awkwardness when sliding sometimes
- When dealing with details, you might have to upgrade your blade
This is one of the best sliding compound miter saws you can get. You can handle a variety of cutting projects ranging in sizes of small and medium.
Offering mobility, accuracy etching, working on detail plus handling the smaller sizes is part of the resume that has earned it a seat among the best miter saws in general miter saw reviews. You can also check out the Dewalt DWS 709 review.
Are you concerned about portability?
Dewalt DCS361M1 proves to be my top favorite when it comes to portability. Moreover, it has features that will be able to facilitate various tasks.
The Main Features
- It has a 20V battery that lasts long enough to deliver cuts on 2×4 pine wood totaling to 183. This battery also facilitates the portability of the miter saw.
- Its cross cut capacity peaks at 8 inches long. It is acceptable considering the motor. And can work on small errands.
- Dewalt DCS361M1 can easily be adjusted because of the ten decisive breaks featured on the alterable detent plate.
- It is made of stainless steel, and this helps because it ensures the durability of the unit.
- It weighs 31 pounds which facilitates your portability needs.
- It has a straightforward design which is a competency where you have little experience with power tools.
- It has a handy dust collection which helps maintain the neatness of your workshop.
- Dewalt DCS361M1 is durable
- It is the best portable miter saw
- Dewalt DCS361M1 is easily adjustable from the ten decisive breaks.
- It has an affordable price
- It is light
- It is easy to use
- Dewalt DCS361M1 has a competent amount of cuts per charge.
- It has excellent safety mechanisms.
- It is the most expensive in its category
- The 8-inch blade may not come in handy in some tasks.
This is the best portable miter saw. It has adequate battery life, and you may be able to establish fine detail in your cuts.
Bosch CM10D has proven to be an innovative product that offers a great deal of efficiency when dealing with cutting errands.
The Key Features
- It is equipped with an Axial-Glide System that helps reduce the amount of space needed for the saw both at the front and back with the hinged arm attached to it.
- The 15 amp motor provides power to create 4,800 rpm. You will be able to achieve clean and precise cuts.
- Its dust collection has a 90% efficiency in collection of lust.
- Bosch CM10GD is equipped with miters and bevels that facilitate rotations of up to 60 degrees and 47 degrees respectively.
- It has a sliding fence of 4 ½ inches in height and a cutting of up to 12 inches of width at 0 degrees, and at 45 degrees, it provides 8 inches.
- Bosch CM10GD has the excellent control that helps with accurate cutting.
- It is correct due to the Axial Guide System.
- Its quick adjustments provide convenience in operation.
- The hinged rails offer an excellent design.
- Factory defects seem to plague the CM10GD
- It is pricey.
The Bosch CM10GD has great innovation and traits.
Ryobi TSS102 L is an excellent product ranking at consumer grade. Despite many features, it may not match most products of the same price range.
The Key Features
- It has a powerful motor of 15 amp that brings an output of 5500 rpm. This helps with ease and precision of cutting.
- It is equipped with a single angle that helps with cutting adjustment to the left side.
- It has an excellent system for dust collection.
- Its miter range is 45 and 50 degrees to the left and right respectively. Moreover, it has a wide range of positive stops up to 45 degrees.
- It has a laser line to help with the accuracy of cuts.
- It has an excellent cutting range of width with 12 inches at 0 degrees and 45 degrees, seven ¼ inches.
- It has an electric brake stop.
- The electric brake stop enhances safety
- Its positive meter stops help with making precise cuts
- Ryobi TSS102 L has a powerful motor for excellent cuts
- Ryobi TSS102 L has an efficient dust collection system.
- The cuts are accurate as the laser guides them.
- As compared to other sliding miter saws, it is a bit pricey
- Its angle is limited only to the left side.
It is the best 12-inch miter saw and has excellent quality and performance matching its traits.
Craftsman 21237 sliding miter saw is a product of the Craftsman brand, which is already a household name. It is precise in its purpose and features, and that makes it a great option, according to customers’ sliding compound miter saw reviews.
The Key Features
- It is endowed with a laser from Laser Trac which facilitates accuracy in cuts.
- Craftsman 21237 has a powerful motor that offers a high torque which helps with precise and tranquil cutting. The engine is 15 amp, and maximum rpm is 4800.
- Craftsman 21237 has only one level that can extend to 45 degrees on the left side.
- Its miter range is 50 degrees on either side and has positive stops of up to 45 degrees and these help in a variation of miter cuts.
- Its width capacity of cutting extends to 12 inches at 0 degrees and 45 degrees it extends to 8 inches.
- Craftsman 21237 has a wide variety of miter cutting.
- Its torque helps with efficient cutting
- Craftsman 21237 has an acceptable range of bevel adjustment.
- It has a reasonable price for a quality
- Craftsman 21237 is not useful in cutting squares
- The rails may not be in proper alignment.
The Craftsman has received mostly positive reviews. It is the best 12-inch miter saw and its price makes it a pretty good deal for a sliding best compound miter saw, considering its quality. Customer feedback and a lot of compound miter saw reviews support this assessment.
DEWALT DWS779 — Best Sliding Compound Miter Saw
One of the most powerful miter saws available on the market at a competitive price is the DEWALT DWS779 Sliding Compound Miter Saw, which is ideal for cutting through a variety of materials such as wood, plastic, and metal with utmost precision. The features this tool has allows it to tackle heavy-duty and high volume tasks.
- A 15-amp motor with a speed of 3,800 RPM for extended durability and power
- Adjustable speed to meet the demands your cutting tasks
- Double bevel sliding system that makes the miter saw suitable for commercial workshop applications
The features this saw offers for the price point is the main reason why so many people opt for it. Apart from being a budget-friendly tool, this sliding miter saw review further also declares that this model doesn’t compromise on the quality of the cuts.
- Easy to operate
- Changing the blades is easy and fast
- A variety of blades are compatible with this design
- It does not have an LED guide
- Some of its components are made of plastic
The fact that this machine is so easy to operate makes it one of the most preferred sliding miter saws for beginners. Not only can you learn and master the art of operating it but maintaining it is pretty easy too.
Keeping the price point and features in mind, I give the DWS779 a 4.8 and tag it as my pick for best compound sliding miter saw.
When it comes to high-end power tools, Bosch is always a top name. This brand is famous for producing some of the best power tools and it has done it yet again with the Bosch GCM12SD 15 Amp 12 in. Corded Dual-Bevel Sliding Glide Miter Saw with 60 Tooth Saw Blade. It’s well-made, accurate, and reliable.
- A powerful 15-amp motor with a speed of 3,800 RPM
- Axial glide system to improve alignment and save space
- Soft handle to ensure increased user comfort
- Fence has a square lock feature for lifelong precision and easy assembly
- Dust chute
- Comes with a 60 tooth, 12-inch blade, a dust bag, and a material clamp
People simply adore this tool. The good reviews on the internet suggest it is a great all-purpose unit. Many claim it the best sliding miter saw they have ever owned.
- Clean and precise angled cuts
- Axial glide system makes it extremely smooth to use
- Bevel and miter controls situated at the front, making it perfect for seamless bevel settings
- Some users report this miter saw is heavy and bulky
- No laser to guide your cuts
The Bosch GCM12SD has all the features you need to process wood. However, the unit is a bit bulky so it is not exactly the best option if you prefer portability. I give it a rating of 4.4 out of 5.
The Genesis GMS1015LC 10-inch compound miter saw with Laser Guide and 9 Positive Miter Stops is one of the best in this price range. You can use this versatile and resourceful unit for a variety of cutting tasks including crown molding and picture framing.
- A laser guide that ensures faster alignment and increased accuracy
- It comes with a blade wrench, a dust bag, a support bar, two extension wings, a 60-tooth carbide blade, and a hold-down clamp
- A 120V 15-amp motor to deliver a speed of up to 4,600 RPM
- A spindle lock allowing you to replace the 10-inch blade easily and quickly
- A responsive electric brake
- 9 Positive Miter Stops
Customers appreciate this unit because they get clean cuts at a low price. People claim you get a great deal for the price when it comes to the Genesis GMS1015LC.
- Laser light guide allows you to make precise and accurate cuts easily
- Inexpensive in comparison to other miter saws offering similar features
- It is easy to assemble and set up
- Some users report the laser light guide stops working after few months of use
If you are looking for a lightweight unit with decent power and performance, go with the GMS1015LC. For the reliability, resourcefulness, versatility and affordability it offers, I give it a rating of 4.3 out of 5.
Makita is another brand famous for high-quality products and it is highly-regarded when it comes to power tools. The Makita LS1018 10-Inch Dual Slide Compound Miter Saw packs remarkable cut capacity, reliability and precision in a lightweight unit.
- It has a rubberized D-handle with an ergonomic design
- A direct drive 13-amp motor to deliver speeds of up to 4,300 RPM
- Soft start feature that ensures a smooth startup, which increases the life of the saw
- Double bevel capacity
- Linear ball bearing system to aid precision
People love this saw because of how light weight it is for a saw with such an impressive capacity. They feel it has everything they need in a slide compound miter saw. However, some users feel it should have a laser guide.
- Compact and portable design
- Zero replacements costs
- It is economical
- It does not have a laser light
Overall Makita LS1018 can be helpful for projects like general construction, carpentry, and so forth. If you are looking for a miter saw with dual bevel capacity and impressive capacity, give this unit a thought. I rate it 4.0 out of 5.
Thus, our ratings from the features and analytics given above favor the Dewalt DW715 for the best product overall.
The popularity of a brand shows that it has quality and can perform excellently as per your requirements. According to this research, the most popular brands include:
Dewalt. Dewalt has dominated this list because of its ability to meet various customer needs.
Hitachi. Hitachi brand offers excellent quality for affordable prices and has earned its place among people opting for DIY.
Craftsman. Craftsman has established itself in other products in as much as it makes miter rays. This has been able to promote it to a household name.
Types of Miter Saws
There are various types of best miter saw for the money in which you can achieve multiple levels of powers and advantages. When you establish you need a variance from these categories, you can specify into various brands of miter saws. If this model isn’t quite what you’re looking for, you can check out the Bandsaw model instead.
The Basic Miter Saw
Meter saws without bevel options are the Basic ones. The cuts we can make are limited to miter and cross cuts.
They are handier than hand saws being lighter and easier to use. If you need small tasks achieved or a high level of accuracy in your cuts, the essential miter saws can give you that.
They are relatively cheap and fit infrequent uses.
On top of the types of cuts the bevels are proficient in, you can achieve two types of bevel cuts. They are the necessary bevel cut and the miter + bevel.
Compound Miter saws are more expensive and more complex regarding operating them when compared to the basic Miter Saws.
However, when you need to use it more often, or when you have to make bevel cuts, the best compound miter saws can prove to be a handy option.
A sliding compound miter saw is essential if you want to cut miter or angled cuts. It is probably the most versatile tool a contractor or handyman can have in their workshop as it provides a wide variety of cuts. This handy tool is often utilized to make cuts (not possible with a standard saw) on crown moldings, picture frames, window casings, and many other materials.
These miter saws possess all the properties of the basic compound miter saw. However, their reach is broader due to the attached sliding arm that they own.
Of all miter saws, they have the highest versatility and are the most expensive. If you are working on broader material or frequently handle full stuff, the sliding compound miter saw reviews can help you fulfill these needs excellently.
The cordless miter saw is as much feature as it is a type. This is because you can find cordless versions of the other kinds of Miter Saws. This saw offers you portability thus you are not limited to a power source to complete your needs for example when working on heavy wood.
Having established what category suits your needs, you will need to develop further criteria that you will employ when purchasing Miter Saw products.
Miter Saw Buying Guide
Apart from our miter saw reviews, we figured that you’d also need a guide to help determine the model that would meet your specific requirements. The last thing you need is a machine that either overserves or underserves your needs. You could base it on the following criteria:
The height and the depth of the cuts you will achieve are under the influence of the module. The edge is the most critical part of your tool, but it is also the most replaceable part.
Despite this, there is no need to incur costs that could have been avoided. You will need to consider the height and material being cut by the blade.
It is important to take the size of the blade into consideration. A larger blade will allow you to make larger cuts. Therefore, it is important to know the requirements of your project to determine what blade size you require. Keep in mind that you can only use the blade size your miter saw is designed for — any other size will not work.
The height options you are regularly presented with are 8, 10 and 12 inches. Various blades are available for cutting through materials like aluminum, wood, and steel.
The fineness of the cuts made is influenced by the number of teeth on the blade. A higher tooth count (known as teeth per inch or TPI) ensures a smoother finish. Larger blades have a greater tooth count. However, thicker materials are easier to cut with a lower tooth count.
Brands that have established a good name and respect in the market have a higher propensity to offer quality in their products.
Cheap is always expensive. Purchasing from unknown brands can incur losses from frequent repairs needed, lack of warranty and frequent replacement.
It is imperative to undertake your research on the products, see what other customers think in their reviews and products and brand ratings.
Despite the notion that the famous brands have high charges, however, with adequate research, you can get good products at affordable prices.
Quality does not come relatively cheap. You should be willing to incur the few extra dollars as compared to a product that may force you to dive back into the market after a short while. Unlike most reciprocating saws, you don’t have to worry about a bunch of additional accessories that will cost you even more money.
You should define your budget however before getting into the market. This will narrow down the search making it more comfortable.
You should avoid cheap products or ones which brand names imitate famous brand names. They are hardly a good idea. With a higher affinity to break down, you could be forced to incur double costs.
Miters are the angled cuts made by these advanced saws. With most miter saws, you can adjust these angles for example to a 45-degree stance.
How proper is the calibration? The calibration varies across different products and brands. You should research and if possible inquire on the calibration and precision of the angles.
The calibration and angle precision are directly proportional to the quality of the product or brand.
Positive stops is one thing you should look for. These stops are positions set at some standard angles that make it quicker and easier to change the cut. Some miter saws are even equipped with one-touch switches for this purpose.
Bevel is one more thing to keep in mind. It allows you to get a different miter angle by rotating the base as well as allowing you to angle the saw. It is possible to tilt some saws in only a single direction, whereas more high-end saws can tilted both ways. A saw that can be tilted both ways means cutting in different directions takes less time.
Dust Extraction and Collection
You should consider a product with a vacuum or a dust extractor in a situation where the machine will be put to frequent use.
You will connect either to the unit’s base via a port. The extractor is not costly and safe especially the vacuum. Not many people take this feature into consideration but it can be useful. It does not only make it easier to clean up the sawdust but also makes the cutting line visible.
Many miter saws come with a dust collection system that removes the dust away from your workpiece and collects it in a bag or a basket. Some brands only come with a dust blower that blows air to remove dust from the wood, which is great for cutting visibility.
The motor influences the machine’s power and power is a significant factor in determining the value and usefulness of the device.
Nothing is more annoying than having a tool that does not have adequate power to complete a project. If you want your saw to cut through wood like butter, always opt for a unit with a good motor. Reviewing the power ratios before purchase will ensure that you have a saw that will fulfill your needs.
Cordless Miter saws, however, are measured by the number of cuts they can achieve in one charge cycle. Averagely, the can achieve 200 cuts and the more the cuts a saw can perform the higher the power and the better the motor.
The best sliding compound miter saw to buy should have at least a 15-amp motor that goes up to a speed of 3,500 rotations per minute (RPM) at the least. However, you can go for fewer RPMs if you are a homeowner and are not going to cut moldings and frames on a regular basis.
I don’t think there is a need to make a list of bad things that can happen while you are cutting with a miter saw.
Let’s just say …
Safety should always be a primary concern. Most of the miter saws are safe, and a number are not. It is crucial for these power tools to have safety features that protect you, and companies these days have become more diligent when it comes to providing safety features with their miter saws.
The presence or absence of a blade guard is a significant safety determiner in a miter saw. Moreover, you should accord some attention to the materials that compound the product. With weak elements, your safety could be at risk.
You should look for features like a saw guard when looking for a miter saw. It can save you from any mishaps while moving the saw as well as while using it. Electric brakes can also be useful. They restrict the movement of the blade in a matter of two seconds by reversing the electrical flow.
Moreover, your particular workstation needs to be a consideration when purchasing a miter saw.
If you already possess a work stand, you should make sure that the saw you get will fit. When purchasing a work stand, however, you should consider the length of the materials you are working on. Some positions have extensions equipped on them to be able to handle long pieces of equipment.
Some saws have additional features that ensure increased accuracy and make your job easier. One of these include a laser light guide. It allows you to see where exactly your blade will place the cut, improving precision. Clear cutting guards are another feature that can make the cutting process easier and smoother. A laser guide is not a necessity but is an asset.
With adequate research, you will be able to navigate through the types of laser guides and miter saws with laser guides.
If you are required to carry the miter saw to various locations, a cordless saw would prove to be very convenient for you. However, if you are just DIY enthusiast, I would recommend a corded miter saw as they tend to be more robust and less expensive.
Sliding Compound Miter Saw Vs. Compound Miter Saw
A sliding compound miter saw has a sliding feature for cutting longer boards. It allows you to move the wood that is being cut through it. This can be particularly useful for construction tasks and large pieces of crown molding.
While a compound miter saw or a non-sliding miter saw is capable of giving your four basic cuts – bevel, angle, cross cut, and compound, it is perfect for you if you’re mostly making wooden frames like, window trims, baseboards, etc.
Choosing a tool that meets the particular requirements of your projects is crucial.
Frequently Asked Questions
Should I get a sliding compound miter saw if I have a circular saw?
A circular saw can tackle all kinds of straight cuts. However, it is not as precise as a miter saw when it comes to angular cutting.
Should I get a 10-inch miter saw or a 12-inch miter saw?
These two miter saw sizes are the most common. A 12-inch saw can make deeper and wider cuts when compared to a 10-inch miter saw. However, the size depends on what you are working on. I suggest that if your workpiece is larger than 2 by 6 inches, opt for a 12-inch saw.
Can I cut metal with a sliding compound miter saw?
Depending on the blade and the metal, it is possible. You can cut metals like Aluminium using a HSS (high-speed steel) blade. A carbide blade can be used to cut ferrous metals. I would personally suggest getting a carbide blade for metal cutting as it does not only cut better but also lasts longer.
What does double bevel mean?
Double bevel refers to the ability of a miter saw to tilt in both directions. It allows you to make a cut in a different direction without having to flip or move the workpiece.
How is a chop saw different from a sliding compound miter saw?
The terms chop saw and miter saw are often used interchangeably. However, both are different tools. The main difference between a chop saw and a miter saw is that you can only get crosscuts (straight cuts perpendicular to the workpiece’s length) with a chop saw, while a sliding compound miter saw allows you to make angled cuts along with 90-degree crosscuts. However, chop saws can cut through a wider range of materials.
Safety Guidelines When Using Miter Saws
Read safety manuals.
When you purchase your miter saw, a dangerous common habit is putting the miter saw to use right away. This, however, should not be the case. Reading the user and safety manual should be the first step before putting your product to test.
Check to validate it is properly working.
If the saw does not perform as it is expected, you should report this immediately. You can determine this by looking for the following signs:
- Increased vibration
- Abnormal distorted sounds being emitted
Do not interfere with the design and working mechanisms.
You should also maintain the working arrangements of the miter saw. When you alter specific devices and composition, you could put your life at risk.
One favorite way is the removal of the blade guard. You will be exposed to the blade and may put yourself in harm’s way in the process.
People also love altering the mechanism of the on and off switch. You should be a little patient to let the blade pick up speed rather than make it spin fast immediately you turn it on. Moreover, the maintenance instructions will guide you as to how you will increase the longevity of the saw. You can also read about other types of miter saws such as the kobalt miter saw in our round up post.
Portability, versatility, guiding systems, miters, and safety, are among the determiners of an excellent miter saw. However, you should prioritize your needs and ensure that you have perused the manual before engaging in your tasks.
The Dewalt DW715, as I see it tops the list. This has been facilitated by various factors most of which is its ease of use. Being the best for beginners, it is relatively affordable and offers excellent quality with ease of usability. We’ve also written a roundup post of the dewalt dw780 and dewalt dw 716 miter saw.