Last Updated on by
Finding and buying the best woodworking jigsaw can be just as tough as any puzzle of the same namesake. It is one of the most essential power tools and woodwork equipment pieces that has consistent applications in terms of shaping and design. The best jigsaws offer woodworkers unparalleled control over angles and a variety of cut as well as the ability to be able to make holes and curved cuts into the material.
Now, the first time I went to buy a jigsaw, I thought it would be so simple. I had researched a bit, seen some reviews and was pretty confident I would not have a single problem. But once in the store, it was only a matter of time before I found myself completely lost.
That’s when I decided to take matters into my own hands. I created this guide and reviewed the five best products so I could help my readers.
Table of Contents
- Top Choice
- Value Section
- Key Factors To Consider Before Purchase
- Best Overall Product
- Best Value Product
- The 5 Best Jigsaws – Product Reviews
- 1. Bosch JS260 120-Volt Top-Handle Jigsaw (Best Product Overall)
- 2. PORTER-CABLE Orbital Jig Saw, 6.0-Amp (PCE345)
- 3. Makita 4329K 3.9 Amp Variable Speed Top Handle Jig Saw
- 4. BLACK+DECKER BDEJS600C Smart Select Jig Saw, 5.0-Amp (Best Value Product)
- 5. DEWALT DW331K 6.5 Amp Top Handle Jig-Saw with DEWALT DW3741C 10-Piece T-Shank Jig Saw Blade Set w/Case
- Final Thoughts
But in case you don’t want to go through all that and just want to know what I think is the best woodworking jigsaw, here you go:
The New Bosch JS260 features a powerful 6.0-amp motor complete with a tool-less blade change, variable speed trigger, ergonomic handle, and an always-on dust blower.
Last update on 2020-02-17 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
The fact is buying a jigsaw is a lot more complicated and time-consuming than you would think. Hundreds of reviews and YouTube videos are available and address different concerns but they didn’t seem to make it any simpler for me to choose.
I checked out the best-rated jigsaws and watched demonstrations of others but wow!; the sheer amount of information I had to consider was overwhelming and difficult to organize.
For professionals, buying the best woodworking jigsaw is an investment. In my case and I am positive for many others, it is a cost that cannot be directly (or easily) recovered financially. And hence, the consideration and hesitation on the part of most of the non-professional woodworking community.
I want to be completely sure that I am buying the best jigsaw for me, just as you would want the best jigsaw for you. As you may agree, it is very difficult to justify expenses that don’t have a direct benefit in terms of my family and children, much less spending money on a product that is not worth it.
Now, before we get to the best jigsaws reviews, it is important to take the following into account when considering buying any jigsaw.
Key Factors To Consider Before Purchase
There are a few key factors to examine before you make any kind of purchasing decision. They are:
1. Features Of Jigsaws
All jigsaws are meant as woodworking cutting tools but there are key differences in their attributes, hence allowing certain models to carry out certain tasks better. Ask yourself what you will be doing most with your jigsaw and which materials you will be cutting.
Consider the type and thickness of wood as well as the level of detail you want to add. Corded, electrical jigsaws need to be plugged in a power source before you can use them. They provide better control and can cut through tougher materials. Corded jigsaws are perfect for indoor use, like in workshops or on benchtops.
Cordless jigsaws are more suitable for outdoor and on-site work. Although they provide great mobility and ease of use, these jigsaws can’t be used for cutting heavy material.
Other features that may play into your decision should be:
- Laser guidance system: This is essentially a laser line that acts as a guide for you to cut along and the system makes it easy to follow the path of your cut. A laser guidance system is especially great for beginners.
- Rpm speed of the motor blades: The RPM (Revolution Per Minute) is decided by the revolution speed of the blades and the power of the motor. Higher RPM means more precise and deeper cuts, and it also results in more wear and tear of the blade.
- Locking feature: Some jigsaws offer a feature in which you can lock certain buttons in order for the blades to still keep working without the need to keep the variable speed trigger depressed. This is very helpful as a feature in terms of large volumes of similar cuts on different boards.
- Adjustable shoe: Some the best jigsaws have non-adjustable shoes; however, an adjustable shoe offers a level of unique customization. In addition, this feature also gives the user the choice of changing the setting of the shoe to where it is the most balanced for a relaxed workflow or cutting position.
- Dust control port: A dust control port is an important feature on a jigsaw as it keeps the dust from rising up from the cuts the jigsaw makes, which can lower visibility. If there is no dust control port, the saw dust sprays up and can get stuck onto safety goggles.
- Corded vs cordless: Corded jigsaws take up far more space but are able to use greater power to cut through tougher and stronger forms of working materials. Cordless jigsaws, on the other hand, offer far more ease and maneuverability, allowing for sharper radius cuts and more curved cutting work on lighter materials.
- Orbital vs straight lines: This refers to the action, angle, and direction of the cutting blade of the jigsaw. A straight line jigsaw is one where the blades only move in and out of the saw itself, whereas an orbital jigsaw has blades that can move forward and on the upswing, allowing for different manners of cuts.
This is possibly the most argumentative debate in the history of jigsaws itself. And as with all such things, finally, it is completely a matter of end-user preference.
Different blades have specific strengths and weaknesses and are easily researched online in relation to particular models. What has to be noted, however, is that the research has to be given the same level of importance as the research into the best jigsaw tool.
Jigsaw blades are often underestimated in terms of their vital role in the nature of how a jigsaw operates. The wrong blades can ruin a jigsaw or material, whereas the right ones can make all the difference when you are working on a specific piece.
There are general factors to consider with regard to the types of blades:
- T-shankU-shank: These are the two types of jigsaw blades. T-shanks are recognizable because of a tang shaped T at the end, while U-shank blades have a U shape in comparison.
- Blade material: The blade material affects reliability of the blade, its durability, and its particular traits. Common materials are HCS (High Carbon Steel), HSS (High-Speed Steel), and Tungsten carbide.
HSSs are high performance blades designed to cut through any material like metal, aluminum, and other non-ferrous metals, while HCS is designed to handle softer materials like plastic, laminated chipboards, and wood. The Tungsten Carbide Tip (TCP) blades are used for precision cuts while working in hard-to-reach-areas.
- Teeth per inch (TPI): Blades with fewer teeth produce rougher cuts whereas blades with more teeth produce slower cuts but with smoother finishes.
3. The Money Question
If you are a professional or looking to go professional, then, of course, how much money you are willing to spend can go up to thousands of dollars. However, you can find great options in the ballpark of a few hundred dollars.
It is imperative that one does not think that the cost ends there. The most important secondary cost that comes with a jigsaw is the blades. It is foolish to have bought a great saw and then waste or ruin the machine by using cheap blades.
Best Overall Product
This jigsaw from Bosch come with a 6-amp motor and a feature that allows you to control the speed and power. It can cut through most materials with ease and has a very reasonable price tag as well.
Best Value Product
The reason why Makita 4329K falls under best value product is that it can be used for both light and heavy cuttings. It also happens to be one of the most durable on the list.
The 5 Best Jigsaws – Product Reviews
Here are the best 5 woodworking jigsaws you can gladly consider buying or adding to your collection of saws:
When it comes to power tools, Bosch happens to be a standout performer in the global market. Designed particularly for experts and professionals, the Bosch JS260 guarantees fine woodwork. So, what really makes this tool a perfect match for handymen?
- A 6-amp motor and a dial that allows you to vary the speed
- Tool-free blade changing system
- Dust blower to ensure a visible cutting line
- Four orbital-action settings for varied blade strokes
- Multidirectional clamping system
While this jigsaw does offer a lot of beneficial features, the reason why most people adore the tool is due to its ability to cut through any kind of wood “like butter.”
- The design ensures maximum user control and comfort
- Increased accuracy
- Fast and easy insertion/ejection of blades
- Economical without any compromise on the features
- Variable speed setting
- Minimal vibration, which is great for reducing fatigue and improving comfortability
- The blade clamp mechanism is made of plastic and is not as sturdy
- No LED light
To conclude, the Bosch JS260 offers a powerful motor among many other features at a relatively economical price. You get a bang for your buck with this tool. Keeping the functionality you are getting for the price in mind, this tool tops my list with a rating of 4.7 out of 5.
If you are looking for a high-performance, powerful, and well-designed entry-level jigsaw that will last a long time, Porter Cable’s PCE345 is the answer for you. This reliable tool is perfect for amateur jobs and offers durability among many other features.
- A 6-amp motor and seven-speed settings
- Tool-free blade changing system
- Four orbital-action settings for different blade strokes
- Lock-on button on the trigger mechanism
- Wide shoe and protective cover, ensuring increased stability and safety
PORTER-CABLE Orbital Jig Saw is perfect for beginners. It is light-weight, easy to operate and clean, and it comes with an affordable price tag. This tool is appreciated by DIYers and beginners in particular and rightfully so. People claim they do not only get value for their money but also find it easy to use.
- An affordable entry-level tool with no faults
- Comes with a 3-year warranty
- Easy to insert and remove blades
- Powerful motor for the price
- You can lock the trigger mechanism, allowing you to use it uninterruptedly.
- Overmolded rubber grips on the handles ensure increased performance and user comfort
- No compartment for blade storage
- Some users reported easily messing up the speed setting if you don’t position your hand correctly; the trigger is placed very close to the dial
To sum it up, if you are an amateur looking for a very basic tool, Porter Cable PCE345 will do the job. I give it a rating of 4.6 out of 5.
This tool comes under the list of the most durable and best performing jigsaws available in the market. Built for both heavy and light use, the Makita 4329K can tackle a wide range of materials such as metal, aluminium, plastic, laminate flooring, and wood. It has features that add to the versatility of the tool.
- Built-in dust port
- Three orbital-action settings
- Variable speed settings
If you can properly maintain this tool, I am sure it is going to last for years. It works on almost all kinds of materials and is extremely easy to use. According to customers, this jigsaw stands out because it has a good design despite being economical. They appreciate how lightweight it is and how it does not vibrate a lot like of other budget-friendly jigsaws.
- Portable, lightweight design
- High standard build quality
- Rubber grip ensures maximum user comfort
- Lightweight and compact design due to small motor
- A lock-on button to allow extended use
- Handle is too wide
- It does not have a tool-less blade changing system
- No LED light
If you are a DIYer looking for both comfort and safety, this tool has got you covered. Considering all its pros and cons, I give this tool a rating of 4.6 out of 5.
Nothing says budget-friendly like the Black and Decker BDEJS600C. Out of all the jigsaws mentioned in the list, you really get true value for money with this one. The features it offers at this price point are remarkable.
- A 5-amp motor with variable speed options
- A curve control mechanism allowing users to adjust the orbit
- Wire guard technology
The Black and Decker BDEJS600C gives smooth cut. While being so powerful, this machine is very easy to maintain and service.
- Quick release clamp ensures inserting and ejecting blades is easy
- An improved wire guard allowing users to cut wood with increased accuracy
- It allows you to adjust the bevel shoe and make 45-degree cuts, ensuring improved stability
- Its power cord is made of plastic
- The jigsaw comes with a single wood blade
The majority of people who bought the Black and Decker BDEJS600C jigsaw like the tool because it offers precision along with convenience. They appreciate the tool for its smooth cuts and how easy it is to change the blades.
It gets a rating of 4.5 from me because of how affordable it is.
5. DEWALT DW331K 6.5 Amp Top Handle Jig-Saw with DEWALT DW3741C 10-Piece T-Shank Jig Saw Blade Set w/Case
If all you are looking for is a high-quality jigsaw that can tackle almost any woodcutting task, then look no further than the DEWALT DW331K. This all-purpose tool is equipped with the best of features you can find in a jigsaw.
- A powerful motor of 6.5 amp that can produce speeds up to 3,100 SPM
- Variable speed feature
- Four-position orbital adjustment to fine tune the performance according to the material
- Lock-on button to ensure precision during extended use
This Jigsaw from Dewalt offers precision with safety in a single package. If you are new to woodcutting, this can be an ideal jigsaw for you. The DEWALT DW331K comes with all the features one would ask for in a jigsaw.
However, its flexibility is what makes it particularly popular among customers. Despite being a high-quality jigsaw designed to tackle heavy-duty taks, people find this tool easy to use.
- Increased stability and user comfort due to ergonomic handle
- It has a dust blower that ensures the cutting line is visible
- It is light in weight, reducing fatigue
- It has rubber handles to minimize vibrations, making it easy to maneuver
- Perfect for heavy-duty tasks
- No LED lighting
- While it does have a dust blower, there is no dust collection feature
Summing it up, this tool is right up there amongst the best. While there may be many alternatives for this jigsaw – some on the more economical side – you will find that they have certain issues and lack in several areas this reliable tool does not. I give this tool a rating of 4.5 out of 5 stars.
Refinement is an important factor to consider when looking for jigsaws. While more power sounds good, the purpose of a jigsaw is to make scribed and curved cuts. Therefore, it is important to get a tool that does not only guarantee a clean cut but is also easy to maneuver.
This is the reason why Bosch is easily the best woodworking jigsaw on the list. The tool has all the important features, such as a powerful motor, dust blower, and an ergonomic design, meaning you have the complete package when you buy this tool.